- I continue a series based on the number of reviews and sales. Why reviews? Because reviews sell books! Yes, I love a good review. All authors do! But the reason I need reviews isn’t because of my ego, but because of my greed. Just kidding! Seriously, of course I love to write, and even if I wasn’t making money I’d still write. But to write as a full time job and devote hours a day to the craft, means I have to make money. I have to be able to support myself and my family. To do this I have to sell books. If a book doesn’t make money, sadly I can’t continue the series. Would you work months for free? Of course not! Even if a book doesn’t sell well, I still might continue the series…it will just take me much longer. Canceling a series is nothing new; New York publishers cancel book series all the time if they don’t sell well. It’s been going on for years!
- It wasn’t until I was in my mid-twenties that I decided to try writing a book. It took some time to learn the craft. In fact, over seven years to get published! It took over ten years until I actually made enough money that it could be considered a real job.
- I love T.V.! My favorite shows? Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Arrow, Jane the Virgin, New Girl, Downton Abbey, The BlackList, just to name a few. Favorite movies? The Bourne Trilogy, Pride and Prejudice (both versions), Captain America: The Winter Solider, Harry Potter, and a lot more.
- I also love to travel and learn about other cultures. I love other cultures so much that I even went to college to study Anthropology. Favorite places? I don’t think I can pick! Alaska, Ireland, England, Scotland, Hawaii…. All of them!
- I love to meditate and do yoga, but unfortunately for my peace of mind, I don’t do it nearly enough.
- I speak a little German. A little, and not very well.
- I really, really respect people who are non-judgmental, positive, kind, and never take things personally. These are the characteristics I constantly strive to achieve, although I many, many times fail!
Frequently asked Questions:
Can you read my manuscript/book or give me a quote?
- I can’t read your manuscript because I seriously don’t have the time, and legally it’s just not a smart thing to do. Find a trusted critique partner, or critique group to help.
When will your next book be out?
- I am not at all a type-A-schedule-everything kind of person. This, unfortunately, means that I can’t tell you specifically when my next book will be out. I very much write what I feel like writing, when I want. It also depends on how good my sales and reviews are. Most authors and publishers won’t continue a series if it’s not selling or getting positive reviews. You can check my website or sign up for my newsletter to find out about upcoming books.
Will there be another Mind Readers book?
- No, I don’t have plans to write another. Although never say never.
Will there be a second book in the Matchmaker Series?
- Perhaps eventually. I did have plans to write a second book, but unfortunately it hasn’t been as popular as I was hoping, which means it’s been shoved down on the list of importance. Harsh, but true.
Do you have a Facebook or Twitter account?
- I do have a Twitter page, but mostly tweet about T.V. shows. Follow me @AuthorLoriBrighton
Will The Mind Readers be made into a Movie or T.V. show anytime soon?
- At the moment, no. It is, unfortunately, out of the author’s hands.
Do you have an agent?
- No. At the moment I don’t find I need one. If you have a question about publishing rights, feel free to contact me.
Thanks so much for stopping by!